20 interesting facts about Australia!
Updated: Sep 30, 2020
1. The name Australia comes from the Latin, ‘Terra Australia Incognito’, which means the Unknown Southern Land.
2. Canberra was selected as the capital because Sydney and Melbourne could not stop arguing about which city should be the capital of Australia.
3. Inland area; Australia is 32 times greater than that of the U.K, almost twice than that of Europe, and almost equal to that of the United States of America.
4. Australia is the only continent-nation in the world. It is a continent and an independent country as well. It is also the smallest, flattest, and driest inhabited continent in the world.
5. Kangaroo is the national animal of Australia.
6. The longest fence in the world is in Australia and it is 5,530 kilometers in length. It is called the ‘dingo fence’.
7. The largest cities in Australia are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.
8. Australia has a range of different landscapes, including urban areas, mountain ranges, deserts and rain forests.
9. Australia is home to a variety of unique animals, including the koala, kangaroo, emu, kookaburra, and platypus.
10. Today's Australia is very multicultural with Indigenous peoples and migrants from some 200 countries.
11. The Opera House is an architectural wonder. If you open the sails of the house and combine them, a perfect sphere would be formed. And the inspiration for this kind of design came to its architect while he was eating an orange.
12. More than 85% of Australians live within 50 km of the coast.
13. Australia is home to 10 of the world’s 15 most poisonous snakes as well as an excessive number of venomous spiders.
14. There are more than 150 million sheep in Australia and only 20 million people.
15. Most of Australia's exotic flower and animals cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
16. There are over 10,000 beaches found around Australia.
17. The only two mammals in the world that lay eggs are found in Australia, the platypus, and echidna.
18. 1 million wild camels roam the Australian deserts. They were originally brought over to help with railroad construction.
19. Australians invented a fake animal to further scare tourists. The drop bear was purported by mainstream institutions including the Australian Museum to drop from trees and attack tourists. The drop bear doesn't exist.
20. The only place in the world where you can still find the lungfish which is a living fossil from the Triassic period 350 million years ago.
To get my free book Tip for traveling with kids Click Here